My Collagen Journey
Here we go!
Day 3 of my 90 Day Collagen Journey.
And what exactly is collagen?
Collagen is the most plentiful protein found in animal bodies, including us humans! It's the building block and "binding agent", so to speak, for our bones, joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments, cartilage, skin, hair, and nails. It's also known as the body's scaffolding. You wanna be strong? Yeah...me too!
So what happens as we age?
Our bodies' collagen reserves become a bit depleted. For me, I've been noticing achy knees and wrists. I was surprised to learn that many of my exercise group ladies were already on to collagen! They regularly consumed it.
Of course, the variations for sale are enough to make your head spin. I chose this brand mainly for the price and Amazon reviews. At the time I'm writing, it shows 4.5 stars out of about 800 ratings. Roughly 3 out of 4 consumers gave this a 5 star review. It is also available in smaller containers -- see the pics below.
Be careful with the dosage as it may be different for each brand. I'll start with 2 scoops daily (about 2 T), just to see if this will elicit any change whatsoever in my body over a 3 month period.
I'm pretty stoked because in my research on collagen, I discovered that collagen seems to help the following:
What was important to me when I purchased this brand of collagen?
In the links below, I'm highlighting the smaller size of the brand of collagen I bought in case you want to see how it works for you initially (far left), the 3 lb. container that I actually purchased (center), and Amazon's Favorite (far right - you might want to compare the ingredients as you probably can't go wrong with an Amazon fav!)
BUT WAIT! How will I know if I'm actually "stronger" or whether this is some placebo effect?
1) I currently have aching wrists -- so much typing every day, I guess. I've been wearing wrist braces at night for 2 years. I've been trying to strengthen the muscles and make sure I do flexes daily. Let's say if 10 is the worst pain and 1 is no pain, I'm about a 3 on my wrists.
2) Then there are my knees. I was in an auto accident a few years ago and badly injured my leg and knee. Then about a year or so after that my other knee took the brunt of a fall onto a concrete garage floor. So these joints are also a bit achy. Sometimes I feel sharp pains there when I'm walking or playing tennis. I will try to track how often I feel the jolts and then see if they are diminishing at all. As it is now, I feel the knee discomfort at least once daily on each knee. The "pain" level is not as bad as my wrists plus it's a bit more sporadic-- so I'll say a 2.
3) I will also ask my hair stylist if she notices any difference to the texture of my hair.
4) My nails are already really strong--I think that is from all the nutritional yeast I consume!
5) Then I'll be on the look out for compliments about my skin and face. Ha ha.
I'm really praying that this is just the PROTEIN I need in my diet to make positive changes! I'm ready!
Let's goooooooooooooo. Here's to our health, BRAIN CHANGER!
Want to keep up with my collagen journey? Be sure to opt in here on my website or visit and like my FB biz page: @startwithagratefulheart.
Comments are closed.
All content © Victoria D. Lydon and Choose 2 Think™ Ministries from 2013-present.
Copyright ©Choose 2 Think™ 2013-present. All rights reserved.
Choose 2 Think™ is owned and operated by Victoria Lydon with Wings of Dawn Ministries, LLC. and is solely for educational and informational and is not intended as health or medical advice. Always consult a physician or other qualified health provider regarding any questions you may have about any medical condition or health objective. *As an Amazon Associate I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.